6 Costly Misconceptions About Carpet Cleaning
Misconception #1: You should wait as long as possible before cleaning your carpet.
- No. Dirt is an abrasive-like sandpaper. Every time you step on your carpet, you grind dirt into the carpet fibers. This cuts your carpet, just as if you had used a knife. This cutting causes your carpet to wear out faster.
Misconception #2: The only reason to clean carpets is to remove the dirt.
- No. As you probably know, outdoor air contains pollens, fungi, bacteria, air pollution, cigarette smoke, and car exhaust-and hundreds of other chemicals.
- When you come into your home, you carry those pollens, bacteria, and chemicals in your hair and on your skin, clothing, and shoes. Not surprisingly, all those chemicals and toxins wind up in your carpet.
- If you have allergies, asthma, emphysema, or other breathing problems, one major source of your problem could be the pollens, fungi, smoke, and chemicals in your carpet.
Misconception #3: One method of carpet cleaning is as good as another.
- No. The dry cleaning methods-which are dry foam, dry chemical, and dry compound-don’t rinse and flush out your carpet in any way.
- You might say they do a surface cleaning, which may be desirable in maintenance situations, but all the experts agree that the most effective cleaning method is hot water extraction.
- Hot water extraction means that a hot water cleaning solution, under high pressure, is sprayed into your carpet and then drawn back out of your carpet. This procedure allows the dirt, bacteria, and pollens to be broken up and extracted from your carpet. Shaw Industries, the world’s largest carpet manufacturer, as well as DuPont, the manufacturer of Stainmaster® carpet, recommend hot water extraction as the primary method of cleaning carpets.
- Some people believe that hot water damages your carpet, but this is not true. By washing and then rinsing your carpet with hot water, your carpet is thoroughly cleaned and stays clean longer.
Misconception #4: Having the right equipment is all a company needs to clean your carpets properly.
- Not true. Many companies own cleaning equipment, but very few companies teach their employees how to use the equipment properly. This is why it’s important that you choose your carpet cleaning company carefully.
- The best cleaning companies are those that have been certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification, known as the IICRC. Before you choose a carpet cleaning company, ask to see written proof of the company’s IICRC certification.
Misconception #5: The company that offers the lowest price is the company you should hire.
- No. We’ve seen so many problems arise from lowest-bid companies that we suggest you NEVER hire a company that quotes the cheapest price. The two most common problems:
- The price may not be for the services you want to have performed. The company may be equipped to remove only the dirt from your carpet. But you may want bacteria, fungi, pollens, and tobacco residues removed as well.
- The price you see advertised may not be the price you pay. Many homeowners have learned that the low price they saw advertised lasted only until the carpet cleaning company got into their homes. Then they were pressured into paying a lot more for a variety of add-ons. Some carpet cleaning companies even break the law by using illegal bait and switch tactics.
Misconception #6: Any honest carpet cleaning company should be able to give you an exact price quotation over the telephone.
- I wish this were true, but it isn’t. Most honest, reputable carpet cleaning companies price carpet cleaning by the square foot.
- So, if you’d like me to tell you the exact cost of cleaning your carpet, I need to know the exact number of square feet that you want to have cleaned.
- To get an accurate measurement, a representative from our company will come to your home to measure and inspect all areas you wish to have cleaned.
- We also need to inspect the site conditions to see what type of carpet you have and to determine how severe the soiling patterns are. Without that, we can only guess at the cost.
NOBODY LIKES SURPRISES! Why do we give you all this information in writing up front? So you are not surprised about the price or level of service you get when we come to your home or business to clean.
Everything’s up front. No hidden charges. We want you to know that we’re consistent and ethical.